Wednesday, February 14, 2007

An Ode to BET

I skeet hot sauce, all over chickenhead bitches
I's a paycheck from broke, but I sing about my riches
I hate being black, but I bet you'll never knowz it
Won't see my nappy hair, 'cuz ere'day I cornrollz it

Got time on my hands to make up dance moves aplenty
And find new ways to say ig'nant words dif'rently
I am a big, bad joke, but my rhymes will always last
My history? Psss, whateva!! All'em old folks can kiss my ass

I may be labeled a rapper, but I also like to sing
Have sex with other women, though you see my wedding ring
My pimped out house, Byoy I'm as big as it can gets
So when you want to feel degraded, come on hyere and gitcho fix

I'm ya neighborhood rap star, dat's who I be
It's a damn shame you can't avoid us on tv
we infiltrate your world reppin' ere'thang you see
When white people see you, they believe you is me (Ha Ha)

I do things better, than anyone has ever done it
I wipe my ass wit green toilet tissha made a hunneds
I still smoke weed 'cuz I ain't high as I can git
Ain't registered to vote, but Byoy I swears I's legit

But you watch me and you pay me, so I guess it's all good
You tell all ya folks you lud da way I rep da hood
So don't blame me when you don't get dat promotion
It's prob'ly 'cuz da boss heard ya talk like me at da luncheon

I don't want to be dis, but dis is how I pay da bills
I can make more money if I been back and forth to jails
You may think my shit stink, but I got a remedy for dat
Its called "fuck you, N***a!!" and I sell it by da track

I'm ya neighborhood rap star, dat's who I be
It's a damn shame you can't avoid us on tv
we infiltrate your world reppin' ere'thang you see
When white people see you, they believe you is me (Ha Ha)


Many of you have never seen me write like this or think like this, but I had to give my interpretation of what I see whenever I see a music video on BET. You have these shows with little kids in the audience jumping and screaming when their favorite, extremely ignorant video comes on. The artists from the videos are interviewed and they lounge on a couch with no posture, sounding as dumb as possible. And right in the middle of it all is zero message. . .zero learning. And each year, the knowledge imparted gets less and less, the vocabulary gets worse and worse and all our progress collectively adds to nothing. Because on the one station that may have an opportunity to continuously portray us positively, it does the polar opposite; as if the local news and our own actions were not bad enough.

And a part of me doesn't want to blame these artists because capitalism asks and suggests that we become rich anyway we can; the mere message that the haves are rich and the have nots are minorities is ever present in almost everything we do. Classicism has become the new racism and its proving itself to be very effective. Teenagers walk the streets afraid to sound intelligent because they'll probably be ostracized. When does it end? Where is the relief?

At some point, someone has to be held accountable.

Boycott BET

7 Comments:

Blogger Setta B. said...

I lud dis pome!

February 14, 2007 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fo' sheezy! LOL No seriously, well said. I'm with you!

February 14, 2007 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

somebody needed to say it ... but the right way ... glad you did!

February 14, 2007 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me how you really feel, bruh! Nicely done.
- L

February 15, 2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger .::TekeemaJ::. said...

You know I love you to death BUT you made me cringe thoroughly while reading this. You know my 5'7" frame can't handle such without warning :-). As I read, I envisioned you at a desk, kumquats close by, cringing as well. ;-)

As one who has ignored BET's existence for the past few years, I can truly appreciate your message and the necessity of it. Shed light!! Someone...

...there needs to be a message that this shit IS NOT funny or entertaining. The disparity between what it means to be the minority and what it means to be the majority is even less amusing.

Since 30's the new 20, I mean since society is already comfortable arrogating things for superficial reasons, I'm going to arrogate for a just cause--education! You think I have the power to make books the new BET?

March 27, 2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger JayGee said...

Don't know if you have the power to make books the new BET, but if you try, I'll help!!

March 28, 2007 5:49 AM  
Blogger JayGee said...

Don't know if you have the power to make books the new BET, but if you try, I'll help!!

March 28, 2007 5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.