Monday, February 12, 2007

An ode to the Outdated

Hey there, buddy! How ya been. I know it’s been a minute since I last checked in. I didn't realize I'd run into you this time on when, I was on my way to catch up with some new shit then, I stumble past some memories of when we were friends. I can't believe how time has passed since we were hangin. I know we lost touch the moment my life began. But like much weather when it changes it was because of the wind.

I know it seems a lie, but I can confirm that it’s not. I started chillin’ with a different crowd and so it was I got, caught up in being grown away from situations too hot, like fire boiling stew we were in the same lil pot. Like that time we got drunk and woke up on two small cots, in prison and our folks had to come bail us out. I vowed I’d never be caught slippin’ again or else I’d rot, in this same old neighborhood, well at least that’s what I thought.

Well, I settled in a crib, took some time to be alone. Worked on my independence to make my younger self feel grown. Started buildin a career cuz life's haul is extremely long. But it pains me to come back and see the same shit's goin on. So I roam and avoid the place that seems all wrong. But here I find myself back in it as if I can’t move along. It’s pitiful how we cling ourselves to pasts too strong, rather than let go and just move forward on this earth we’re upon.

But at the same time, perhaps now I kinda do feel relieved. Knowing I struggled at the right time puts my mind at ease. That maybe there's some justice when forced to concentrate on making cheese, to pay for a better life and a home where you own the set of keys. That was my ultimate goal and it was myself I wanted to appease. So forgive me for leaving before saying goodbye; for that I beg you please.

I'm sorry that I've found you in this predicament. Where you're forced to lie about how your wasted years have been spent. I know you needed more time than others, but I don't want to hear you vent. About how life threw us a curveball which somehow was clearly meant, to be smacked back into the field of play but now I see you bent, out of the way, refused to play and now you hold the monkey’s wrench, that fell into your muddled plans and now like metal in cement, time has made it hard to move and harder for your past transgressions to repent.

Oh well, that's how life is sometimes; it’s not always fair and sound. It’s been nice seeing you again this way while gingerly passing through town. I promise to catch you back up in life; you know, see you on the rebound. Perhaps then we can talk about some things that seem slightly more profound. And when that happens, I'm sure we'll discuss the positive roads that you've found. ‘Til then keep your head up, all is not lost, once it’s yourself you’ve found.

I'll be sure to tell John that I saw you in town and how we both related, in the old neighborhood, just shooting the breeze, I'm sure he'll be so elated. To know that there's no hard feelings between us as we all found our separate challenge and faced it. To know that you're okay and we're all cool and that no one is hated. Take care of yourself and now I must bid you adieu, our time belated. May God be with you and bless your path my friend, my dear outdated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.