Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Memories Don't Live Like People Do - C


"Just two dope boyz in a Cadillac! ! !"

Well, with the exception of that being a really hype song by Outkast on their ATLiens CD, the phrase has past significance to me personally.

During my sophomore year at Duke, I can remember going to hear Dr. John Hope Franklin speak at a gathering in the Duke Museum on East Campus. At the time, Dr. Franklin was huge at Duke. He was the Professor Emeritus of History. In the Perkins library, in the upstairs reading room, a portrait of him had recently been hoisted to the walls amongst all of the other distinguished fellows to cross the sanctified halls of Duke. He was the only Black-American to have done so. I don't know if that fact still remains; my guess is yes. Amongst many other things, he was also a special advocate on race relations during the Clinton administration.

Also, he was becoming one of my heroes. In my mind, he hadn't quite reached where Arthur Ashe's persona or Ralph Ellison's Black-owned candor had stood for me, but he was surreptitiously approaching them as I began to learn more about this man. As a pre-requisite to joining the illustrious ranks of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated, an interest member is expected to read From Slavery To Freedom, Dr. Franklin's prize winning historical chronicling black history from the Diaspora to modern day. At the time, I had no idea of the impact the book would have on me. Not so much because of what was enclosed within the pages; history is history. But the level of dedication put to task by such a young man (the first edition was published when Dr. Franklin was but 32 years old) was astonishing to even conceptualize let alone see firsthand. Additionally, it put into context for me, in a way previously never done, my link and connection to history, time and lineage of man. I digress. Back to the Museum.

After Dr. Franklin finished his discussion, I walked up to him amongst the many other audience participants and introduced myself.

Jaramogi: Hello, Dr. Franklin. My name is Jaramogi Adams. I am Vice President of the Kappa Omicron Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. here at Duke University. I know that you're a member of the fraternity and wanted to forge a relationship with you especially since we have you so close by. I was wondering if it may be possible to meet with you and perhaps have lunch and talk.

Dr. Franklin: Well, I'm in the phonebook. Just look me up.

That was all he said. This was at the end of my sophomore year. I spent the summer at home in New York interning for American Express and partying like the fraternal newbie I was. But upon returning to Duke, it was back to business. One of the first things I did was to look up Dr. Franklin in the phonebook. I composed myself, reminded myself to remain audible and keep consistent with my reasons for contacting him (I had problems with speaking audibly in my younger days, mostly due to shyness).

I dialed the number. After about 3 rings, someone answered. I was surprised to hear Dr. Franklin's voice on the other end of the phone. I don't know who else I expected to answer, but I wasn't expecting him. The beginning of my script called for me asking to speak to Dr. Franklin. 2 seconds into the phone call and I was already off step. A slight pause.

J: Hello, may I speak to Dr. Franklin? (Because, you know, even if you know who it is on the other end of the phone, it's still respectful to ask for your intended receiver.)

Dr. F: Speaking.

(Slight pause but I remembered my pre-instructions to the call and continued on)

J: Hello, my name is Jaramogi Adams. I met you briefly in the spring semester. You gave a talk on your perceptions of the racial climate amongst top tier schools and I approached you at the end to ask if I could meet with you. I am a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha chapter here at Duke.

Dr. F: Yes, I remember you.

J: (Slight pause) Well, yes, I was wondering if perhaps you had time to have lunch. I would thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to sit down and meet with you (in my mind I thought, if he says 'yes', I'll have to come up with things to keep him interested in talking to me for at least an hour. A bit of nervousness at the prospect settled in).

Dr. F: Ok, let's do lunch. I can meet you next Wednesday at the West Campus circle in front of the Chapel.

J: Sounds like a plan (Yes, those were my favorite words to use as a response even back then). From there we can walk to one of the lunch halls.

Dr. F: No, I'll be driving. I'll pick you up. Look for a walnut colored Cadillac. 12:30pm, ok?

J: (Longer than a slight pause) Sounds like a plan.

Dr. F: See you then.

J: Yes. Goodbye and have a nice day.

Dr. F: You too.

(That's it? That's all it took to meet the world renowned historian, Dr. Brother John Hope Franklin? The past President of the American Historical Association? Winner of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005? A man whose name has been forever stamped into the fabric of Duke University's history with the John Hope Franklin Center for Interdisciplinary & International Studies erected in his honor, while he is still alive? I won't say I was disappointed, but a part of me wanted to work harder for it. I was young and naïve though and hindsight tells me that I'm glad he made it so easy.

Wednesday had arrived and I had not spoken to Dr. Franklin since our agreement to meet for lunch. But he said meet him at the West Campus circle in front of the Chapel at 12:30pm and that's what I intended to do. I got back to my dorm from class and jumped into the shower. I had ironed a dress shirt, tie and slacks the night before. I slipped into these articles, grabbed a folder with something to write with, just in case (habit) and walked out of the dorm.

12:25

12:28

12:30

12:32

12:35

All came and went. For a 20 year old, each passing minute seemed an eternity. It was hot and people were passing by in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops looking at me funny, because to them, I just looked like a student in a hot suit waiting at the bus stop, for nothing in particular.

12:37 came and so did a walnut-colored Cadillac. He pulled up to the bus stop and I walked over to the car. The door lock clicked open and I got in. It was Dr. Franklin. I do not believe I can accurately capture my excitement at that moment. Suddenly, it had occurred to me that during the course of Dr. Franklin's morning, he checked his calendar and it read something like:

12:30pm – drive to the West Campus bus stop and pick up Jaramogi for lunch. Make reservations prior to picking him up.

As the author of this text, I'm not sure if I should report to you how I felt or how I acted. I felt elation. I acted as if this happened to me daily. Such contrasting forces between feelings and actions can leave you feeling dizzy at times. But I was able to use humility to counter-balance the loftiness of my ego, thereby rendering my dizziness. . .slight. Additionally, I can remember feeling pleased with myself for having dressed in a suit and a tie because Dr. Franklin was dressed in the same. This was one little correct step that took the edge off what could have been an overbearing experience had I shown up in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt. In his eyes, I could tell that he was pleased with my decision, as well.

Dr. F: How are you doing? (In his 80s but handshake firm as a 30 year old)

J: Well, thank you. (I said in what I thought was my best in the heat of the moment, action hero voice. However, I was glad he started the conversation. I honestly think he did it because perhaps he could tell I was nervous).

5 minutes into the drive. . .just 5 minutes of relating and I felt like I was talking to a Grandfather. It was so amazing. He spoke to me like a son who had matured into a man. And so while understanding the age and experience difference, he kept in mind that it was important that he treated me like his equal.

Side Note: Ladies, if you're reading this, understand that one of the most crucial periods in a young man's life is that transition from boy to man. And it takes a hell of a lot of work from mother to father, from teacher to mentor, from girlfriend to society at large, to help make that transition as comfortable for him, as possible. It is the difference between him becoming a man confidently and always second-guessing his adult decisions. Understand that I say this, not to undermine gender equality, but as a message: If it is a man you want and a man you wish to see, then you must treat all men, who were once boys, like men. I say this also knowing that respect is earned, not given. But the same must not hold true for the initial "benefit of the doubt." While it will not always work, I believe the results will be better than they are today wherein men stay boys for far longer than their age, experience and life lessons should allow. Getting older does not make you a man. Who you are, how you have developed and how you are respected are what can make you a man. Again, I digress.

Dr. Franklin belonged to an eating club in Chapel Hill, NC, home of the dreaded and most hated Tar Heels!! He parked and we walked into this building and took the elevator to the top floor which had to be at least 25-stories high. In case you're wondering, 25-stories are very high for the Research Triangle Park (RTP) area.

We were seated and brought menus. There was a gentleman with a colleague sitting a couple tables away from us. Dr. Franklin and the gentleman spoke for a few moments and then Dr. Franklin returned his attention back to our table. "That's Julius Chambers, Chancellor of North Carolina Central. He's also an Alpha." Both facts I knew. He had only been named Chancellor a few years prior. But I would never have expected to be sitting a couple tables away from him having lunch. Maya Angelou. Dr. John Hope Franklin. Julius Chambers. Hmmmm. Let's see how this sounds: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings of a time passed From Slavery To Freedom because through the LDF, I helped fight for Race & Equity in the courtroom and won. Well, at least that's my take on the tandem of individuals. Author. Historian. Lawyer. Each one has given contributions through their professions; each one has also taken precious time to be an educator.










My chance meetings with great influences on the building and telling of black history were growing.

The experience was very overwhelming to say the least, but I believe I handled it like a pro. Dr. Franklin made it very easy for me. I didn't have to continuously ask him questions like it was an interview. And he seemed well within his element imparting advice to a young fella from Brooklyn, NY who somehow made his way down to Duke University, some could argue, in a way building up to this very moment in time. If "necessity" is indeed the mother of invention, then "encouragement" must be her younger sister because most roads, you will always find, have never been travelled alone. Though the path from point A to point B is straight when told, there are many guided directions and signs along the way making sure you do stay on that very path. That is to say, it was not necessary that I be where I was, sitting in the same room with Dr. Franklin and Julius Chambers, but it was encouragement from my family and teachers that I'm sure helped to get me there. On that day, humility in tow, I was walking with Kings, but never did I lose my common touch.

And so what was Dr. Franklin's biggest piece of advice to me? "Always document your life. You never know when you'll be called upon to tell a story of the world you've experienced. I wished I had started documenting my life when I was your age. It would have made it easier to write my autobiography (this would not be the last time I heard of his autobiography. Stay tuned)."

The conversation continued. He talked about everything under the sun and at most times, seemed to prefer to have such a rabid listener. I was every bit of that. It was an exciting time for me. You often hear these stories of well known leaders, having brushes with other well known leaders when they were young. For Dr. Franklin, perhaps it was working with Brother Thurgood Marshall on the NAACP Legal Defense team in the 50s. Not to say that my life's intentions will ever lead me to be a historian, but I do like telling non-fictional stories about things I have seen and things I have experienced. So you never know.

We wrapped up lunch and Dr. Franklin drove me back to campus. I hopped out of his car as we shot parting words at each other.

Dr. F: Keep in touch!!

Maybe he says that to everyone. But then again, maybe he doesn't. I promised myself to keep in touch.

I had one other lunch with Dr. Franklin at the same location the following semester and figured to make it a bi-yearly occurrence. My plans were thwarted when Dr. Franklin was elected to President Clinton's cabinet as chief advisor on One America in the 21st Century: The President's Initiative on Race. From that point during his summer appointment through my senior year, Dr. Franklin was not in Durham much at all.

In December of 2005, my fraternity celebrated its 30th year of existence. My relationship with Dr. Franklin still intact, I was able to get him to be our guest speaker of honor for this occasion. A month prior to this event, Dr. Franklin had released his autobiography entitled, Mirror to America. It was the same autobiography he'd referenced almost a decade ago over lunch when talking to a 20 year old kid.

It’s funny that these memories flood into my mind every time I hear that timeless classic by Outkast, "Just Two Dope Boyz in a Cadillac."

Memories.

2 Comments:

Blogger YF said...

that was beautiful. and you've already started your autobiography. it's not for you, but for the many young men and women sitting at lunch eagerly listening to your life experiences and shared wisdom.

March 30, 2009 7:20 PM  
Anonymous Mahogany Elle said...

Great tribute for an even greater man. May God rest Dr. Franklin. :-)

July 03, 2009 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.