Sunday, December 17, 2006

An old adage redefined?

I'm sure you've heard the old adage that beggars can't be choosers. Apparently this is a new era. I'm tired of beggars looking at me funny if I give them 1, 2 or 5 rupees (all of these come in coins).

I know I'm a foreigner, but I've been here too long to know that the going rate for giving out change shouldn't be anymore than 1 or 2 rupees. I've even had a beggar say to me, "Sirrrr, give 100 rupees, only 2 dollars."

WHAT? If India has all of these finance people roaming the street, converting rupees to US dollars, calculating my standard of living in the US and what US$2 means to me vs. what it could mean for them, then why is AMEX paying this money for me to be here? (ok, strike that last statement. . .its too telling)

My point is this and this alone: beggars can't be choosers and they CERTAINLY shouldn't be accountants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.