Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Spell-Checker Rant

To Whom It May Concern,

I am sick and tired of spell-checker, checking my friends' names. We're in the year 2006. Do you not see the purpose in perhaps adding a list of African, Asian and Indian names to your lexicon? Are we not fully globalized? I mean, how many Johns, Rebeccas and Davids do you expect me to know? At some point, you must think outside the biblical box and start including names that are representative of the whole geo-ethnic landscape.

To my friends, I have offered you the ultimate in accommodations. Cyril, Russatta, Karimah, Bolu, Worokya, I have freed you from the bondage of the evil red squiggly line denoting an incorrection. I want you to know once and for all, that you are a known, no longer an unknown. I have gone into Microsoft Word and PowerPoint and my email servers and I have once and for all told those pesky spell-checkers, "This is a human being; this is my friend!!!"

Yes our mothers may have had too many drugs during birth. Yes she got extra ethnic with our names, but does that bear correcting? For heaven sakes, this is MY laptop!! Should I suffer the indignity of having to see my own name with an ugly, squiggly red line under it every time I gloat about myself and talk in third person? I paid a couple thousand dollars for this laptop. Its spell-checker should at least know my name!!

My friends, I am here to let you know that the ethnicity of your name is not a mistake! I have absolved you of indifference in my computer's mind. I ask you to take the next step in liberating your non-Johns, non-Rebeccas and non-Davids from the Spell-checker red line and follow me!!

Signed Crazy, Deranged & Tired of seeing that damned red line under my name,

Jaramogi Adams

2 Comments:

Blogger Setta B. said...

You show 'em, Jaramogi!

November 29, 2006 7:02 AM  
Blogger T Dot said...

I'm so mad about this. But oddly, I feel empowered. My spell checker at work continues to tell me that I don't exist. Maybe I should let it know who is really boss.

November 30, 2006 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.