Thursday, April 03, 2008

Life Under Siege (Perhaps Unfinished)

Fragile minds
Being educated on the government's dime
So my books were tattered and torn
Like I was
Smug
In my belief that
Might makes right
So black being power
Meant I sat on top of the world
Until it unfurled
And we started to go to jail
For aggression
What's my lesson then?
Par down my dreams?
So it seems
To mom and pop-sized allegories
While my nightmares
Conglomerate
I sit
For fear
That someone
May see me stand
And realize
I'm a man
Ah damn
How did we get here?
Recognition = fear
Oh, I know
Day became night
And night became day
And while the Earth produced all this movement
We didn’t do enough to change
Who's to blame?
They say I'm not
But I believe I am
You fight wars for what you believe
And when you're defeated
Or change comes
That's when wars stop
In that vein
I should be no different than Iraq
Or Barack
We're not fighting a war
And the changes we need are not in place
For every race
So that must mean we're defeated
Among other things
Uneducated
Unsatisfied
Intolerant
But un-unionized
Sensationalized
Through sport
However, gold trophies
Don’t hold down no fort
Maybe a court
With one rim on either side
Breakaway
Because they got tired of Gorillas
Bending them
“Leave it to them
“To bring athleticism
“But take away finesse”
My jump shot’s a mess
So I’ll just be big
And they’ll pay me to be that way
I had a dream the other day
The golden gate had barb wire and a keep out sign
It said “reserved for those who fight for it”
I woke up breathing heavy as if I just got back
And said
Damn, what a shame
Or was it
Damned, what a shame
Because I felt damned
I’m in no man’s land
Put it in front of my face
Couldn’t recognize my own hand
I get dressed
To go to work
My life is under siege

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.