Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Writing snippet - Black people

I’m no pastor. And I’m not trying to preach. I just believe that there are others like me out there who just don’t know it. There’s something very prophetic about being a black man in America. And I believe if we were all to tap into exactly what that is, something strange would begin to resonate between us all and we would come to understand the power that we actually do hold. Finally break out of this crab-in-a-barrel mentality. We will become who we were destined to become, before history took that strange twist of fate and took us out of our comfort zone of being left alone to become great. Left alone in Africa to become what the land was willing to give to us.

Am I trying to re-popularize secularization? No. Intimidation? No. I want something greater for my people. I’m trying to bring us back to the point of intellectualization. Back to the time when we figured out how to build pyramids with our minds, desires to innovate and manpower. I’d like to get rid of the laziness and the forced destitution. I’m tired of seeing healthy homeless people. I’m tired of seeing dumb children. I’m tired of seeing decrepit seniors. I’m tired of seeing babies shake their booties to a song before they know how to speak. I’m talking intellectualization and prioritization. No more nations of followers. We should all be leaders and take turns leading; there’s nothing wrong with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Setta B. said...

Nai recently gave me a book that talks about some of this. It's called The Envy of the World: On Being a Black Man in America. I have yet to read it but she seemed to like it.

I read another book by bell hooks in the last two weeks. It's The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity and Love. Powerful book because it focuses on what it means to be a man. It explores how masculinity is defined and manifested. More importantly, it challenges men and the women who love them to teach/allow/encourage them to begin the process of loving their full selves.

March 17, 2007 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.