Friday, August 03, 2007

What I saw

The world was beautiful today. I saw riches in what us Americans would consider poor. I saw more colors than I thought imaginable to see in any one given day.

I saw bunches of palm and mommy roots birthing baby trees. I saw growth spurts one second at a time. I saw an enemy smile. He couldn't help it. The rains came and washed away all signs of anger and distrust; the same rains that normally frustrates us Americans.

I saw humor in the form of irony; degradation in the form of lusciousness. I saw rules broken, yet laws of the land still adhered too; in this place, they call it driving. I saw buildings being built, sand being mined, coconuts being grown and a huge town with only one central road.

I saw beauty in unfinished constructs, concocted in a brain designed to see beauty as something complete. I saw beauty in non-preservation. I saw some of the most amazingly, prettiest women in the world living their day-to-day while I lived my holiday.

I saw Cathedrals for prayer made precious by age and utility. I saw clothes being hung out to dry during Monsoon season.

Then I closed my eyes. And I saw peace. I saw the smell of greenery unable to be tainted by the debris of humanity. I saw the taste of ginger in a fresh picked leaf. I saw backwater stills. I saw umbrellas up to block the sun and down to allow for the touch of rain.

Today I saw "God's own country." Tell me. . .what did you see today?


Backwater Rains

Vegetable Stand

House on the Backwaters

Riverboat Carrying Ladies with Sun-brellas

Kathikali Theatre Performance

View from hotel room window

Sand Miners

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

today i found sanctity in a heat that most folks seek to escape as man made air blows ice ...watched as my skin turned a shade darker and was proud of the blackness ...i sat amidst church fans and big hats felt like a child again in a time when my childhood feels so far gone ... sat across from two beautiful black women and realized that true friendship exists ... i realized that today was once the future ... and tomorrow it will be yesterday ... so so i must enjoy it while i have it within me to do so ...

August 05, 2007 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.