Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Your Passing Will Not Be in Vain!

On Saturday morning, I found out from my Mother that my cousin, Shawn in Trenton, had to suffer through her Son being taken away from her by a bunch of robbers who took something much more valuable than any amount of printed money; they took away a 20 year old, black man's life. He ran for it, they ran after it; they ran faster.

Though I didn't know Naquan and may remember having met him once when he was but a young teenager, I do feel some sense of responsibility. I have tons of male cousins and their children who I don't know, nor do I have any type of contact with. Though I will be the first to admit that I'm not your typical role model, it can and has been argued that I have done alright by my self, my family and the black male in society. But there's always room for more.

I should do a better job of reaching out to some of these kids and checking on them. I was fortunate enough as a child to look at my Mother daily and conjugate her actions into what I would expect to see from a male role model. It worked. I am, as tough as Brenda Adams, in more ways than physical. I should extend myself to my family, as much as, and as frequently as I extend myself to my friends. And for that, I do feel remorseful.

No, I didn't know Naquan, but I know "Naquan." And though the man, by his namesake, is no longer with us, the man as a representation of our youth, is still alive and fighting for survival. I must do more.

Naquan, here is to you and your life cut down entirely too quickly. Shawn, my dearest cousin, my condolences go out to you as you go through this difficult time.

My mother sent me an email this morning asking me if I might prepare a few words, a poem or some prose that can be read during Naquan's funeral. She prefaced her note by saying "I know you're very busy. . ." Her words hurt though very justified. I prepared a poem that she may read and though quick and rough, I thought I would share with you.

I'll end by saying here, before it's too late, because tomorrow is DEFINITELY never promised, I LOVE you all!!
-------------------------

Your Passing Will Not Be in Vain!

In life, there are circumstances which we cannot control
There is an evil that resides amongst us that we must all behold
Though tireless our efforts sometimes we’re not allowed to reach our goals
And it is at those times, as a family, we must look to God to remain whole

Naquan, you are a blessing though your life came and went far too soon
We cherish your life in the physical form, though now only mentally your life resumes
And though we mourn, on this day, for the passing of a soul evil has consumed
We rejoice in the light of your life that has touched us internally like both the sun and the moon

We promise to take good care of your memory; two wrongs will never make anything right
We believe in the paths the Lord holds for us all, and so your passing was due to his insight
We wish we could have you back in an instant, for this reality we would all gladly fight
But it is out of our hands, so pray as we may, we now look to you as our angel to shed to us light

So rest my child, my Son, my black brother, for God has called you home in his name
It is not always only those whom are important to him who live a life of fortune and fame
For each one called home will live in eternity, though physically they may never rise a-gain
And know that each of us dedicates a part of our lives to you; your passing will not be in vain

May God Bless the spirit that is your life, Naquan, so that someone, anyone can learn a valuable life changing lesson from this unfortunate, unfortunate loss.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my condolences to you and your family ... i know the feeling of being responsible ... not just for relative but in general ... i feel bad when i dont call my sister enough ... when i dont make an effort to make sure that she is ok ...to make sure that she knows she can use me as a resource ... and the same goes for my black sistas around me ... other than that i hope all is well ... indeed i know you are busy but id love to talk to you over email sometime ...pick your brain ... gain some wisdom... my email is on my profile ... peace and love ...

April 03, 2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger Setta B. said...

so sorry, jaramogi, to hear that you've lost your cousin. my prayers are definitely with you and his family. i'll be interested to see what you do with and for those who need you. i imagine you can do much though you're still living abroad. keep us posted.

April 05, 2007 1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.