Monday, April 23, 2007

An Ode to My Spades Partner (An Ode to Joi)

I can tell by that twinkle in your eye,
You know what I’m thinking
And just like magic, you and I,
Together, make wonderful books
That tell stories of victories won,
Trains ridden and friends lost
Because there’s no room for hate at the table
And 500 don’t take all night
So let’s show ‘em what these Spades can do before twilight
You got 4, I got 4 and a possible
We so good, that sounds like 10 to us
No, our math ain’t perfect, but the cards we make dance
Around the table are
You trump hearts, I trump clubs and nary 3 diamonds between us
‘cept that deuce
And, baby, we all know that’s a Spade
We cuttin’ like a blade
Our opponents, once with chicken wing arms
Now don’t even bother to reach out for books
We give ‘em that look
It’s hopeless after that, we laugh to our own soundtrack
As we match up suits, back, to back, to back
Our voices get so loud across the table, we might as well
Be screamin like we’re 5 miles apart
I’m talking so much junk, a turd falls out my mouth
And clear off the tip of my lip onto the table;
Now that’s some good shit talkin’
We’ve all got 3 cards left, you flip all of yours over
Big, Little, deuce of Spade
And just like that, the last train has left the suburb
And you, you my dearest Spade partner
Are the conductor

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up Jaramogi,

I must say that this poem is off the chain. I read your blog often because I think you are a truly talented poet. I think this poem is one of your best. :-) Keep writing.

Wes Gavins

May 03, 2007 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J-

You know I am LOVING this poem right now! Man, I am at office sweating for a good game. I've been off the pipe, but you got me wanting to spark up a new deck and get to smacking Biggie, Smalls and Deuces all around while simultaneously, as I am notorious for doing (sorry, mama), calling my opponents genitalia. Hurry back so we can throw down and before I book a flight to the New D. to satisfy my addiction.

May 30, 2007 11:51 AM  
Blogger bedstuy chick said...

Wow...I have a new respect for u man. Only a true spades playa can understand what it is like to have a partner who knows what card to play and when u look em in the eye u know that if you play that King they gonna lay low while u follow up with the Ace and on the very next card when u play that Jack they gonna run it...and start cutting like crazy. Cuz u just KnEw when they opened the play with that f...king queen of hearts out of know where they only had one heart in thier hand....

May 31, 2007 11:30 AM  
Blogger JayGee said...

Well, I must say as one of the original inventors of the game of Spades, there's truly something elegant and graceful about a well thought out game, when all the cards fall as they're suppose to and you know that one false step could cause you to get set. Its a beautiful game. Thank you to all of you for sharing in my passion. Now come get some!! :-)

May 31, 2007 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.