Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Are some Rappers terrorists?

I know it may sound funny to you, but truthfully, are rappers, terrorists?

Think about it. They get on television and in videos proclaiming their allegiance to their one true God, the God of wealth.

They talk about how many people they’ve killed, harmed, will kill or will harm, recklessly. And will be paid thousands or even millions in income for what they do by some group of people who’ll approve of and fund speeches about said activities.

Sans Lil’ Kim & DMX, they seem to abide by a set of laws that differ from the common public.

Rappers are the center of conflict. They’re targets of people who do not like what they stand for. They don’t care that these people don’t like them and use this ‘hate’ to generate a stronger following of people who emulate their status.

Some rappers walk around in bullet proof vests, have bullet proof cars and a slew of bodyguards. In their lyrics, they’re always ready for war.

They used to sell drugs and tote guns. Some still sell drugs and still tote guns.

Rappers degrade women, keeping them in an American version of a subservient role forcing them to wear less clothing than their male counterparts, gyrating and not visibly contributing anything of worth to this spectacle we call the video genre. Instead of woman, lady or career girl, they get titles like “Video Ho” or Video Vixen.”

What rappers purport on camera is probably nothing like their real lives.

In the aftermath of decisions involving violence, poor taste or ignorance, they take credit for the wrong-doing. We call it ‘Street Cred.’

Sometimes I feel terrorized when I hear an extremely bad song. I feel misrepresented when I hear a bevy of ignorance spewed through a speaker by someone who “looks like me.”

Bad music played really loud in vehicles with huge speakers and huge sub-woofers is the audible equivalent of a car bomb forcing terror on anyone within earshot.

I probably get racially profiled because of some of the music and visual images purported through the media, labeling people who look like me as "threats."

And all of this takes place despite conscious and moral fiber.

So I ask again, are some rappers terrorists?

4 Comments:

Blogger Csai D. said...

This is quite a sensitive subject. Somehow, because I am white, I feel that I shouldn't judge those things than you mention. I do like RAP, and I probably have your analysis because 95% of the songs, I do not understand.

I might not like what RAP stands for and defends in its lyrics, but to undersatnd music, you have to understand culture. By this I dont mean that all blacks come from the same background, but rappers come from certain cities surrounded by similar circumstances (poverty, violence, drugs) Whose fault is it? Society in general. RAP expresses that anger, and for that I respect it.

As for your question, I do not consider them terrorists. Maybe thugs or violent people would be more appropiate.

As I said a while ago. Your posts make me think. Thank you

July 19, 2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger Csai D. said...

Coming back to the point. Sorry, my whole answer was based on the question are rappers terrorists?, and not your original: "are some rappers terrorists?"

Apologize the ommision, and my English as well.

July 19, 2006 9:03 PM  
Blogger JayGee said...

Csai,

I appreciate the shout out. For a long time, I agreed with you. I understand the circumstances in which rappers who rap about terrorist type things come from. I am from that same environment. Its one thing to rap about it and how messed up life can be, its another thing to embrace it as your culture. At that point, you don't want anything better for yourself or your people.

The world is full of storytellers interested in communicating "where they came from" but oft times it is followed up by, "where we're going." Until rap music takes a holistic approach to the question, "where are we going?" and paint pictures of places better than whince we/they came, then I'm going to remain unhappy about it and have my feelings of distaste about it.

July 19, 2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger Setta B. said...

I think any music born out of revolution, disgust, unrest, whatever can make one a "terrorist." I feel largely the same way about heavy metal. Though they may not tote guns or sell drugs, they speak of violence and drug use. They have "video hos." Played loudly, my eyedrums are begging to be rescued. I don't know. Great post, Jaygee.

August 09, 2006 7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.