Monday, June 26, 2006

Lil' Miss Granny Dorite

When I grow old, I want to be just like my Grandma

My grandma, who don't hear so good now. But it doesn't matter, because she's heard it all. From a southern racist's ill retorts to rappers belittling the very matriarchal foundation of modern day black society as we know it today.

When I grow old, I want to be just like my Grandma

My grandma who don't see so well now. But it doesn't matter, because she's seen it all, from a cotton gin that so beautifully wove the very bails she picked with her own two weary hands to little girls under 16 dressing more scantily in cotton than some of her 50-something daughters ever have.

When I grow old, I want to be just like my Grandma

My grandma whose mind is still as sharp as a whip. Can recall countless birthdays and dates from her shestory. My grandma who if she never took one more look at the Bible could recite it from front to back. My Grandma who can still recite her family's phone numbers without having to consult a cell phone directory.

I want to be like my Grandma, because she's seen the worse it could be and even more worse than that. She knows progress and she knows progress' end. And maybe, maybe if I experience what my grandma has experienced, I could do something about it before its too late.

She's gotten me this far. If I can be more like my grandma, maybe I can make it the rest of the Way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Csai D. said...

Great post. I also had a great affection for my grandfather, but not as much as you do for your grandma.

Keep up the good work

June 26, 2006 10:37 PM  
Blogger JayGee said...

Thanks, Csai. I really appreciate the shout out. I will continue to be true to myself. Thus, I hope to continue to be viewed as doing good work. Thanks again.

June 26, 2006 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my favorite, i love my granny just as much.

June 27, 2006 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.