Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Things have changed. . .

Do you remember those old sitcoms from the 80s/early 90s? Invariably, they’d all do some sort of episode where in the star goes back home, or someone comes back to their old surroundings. And someone says the now infamous words, “you’ve changed!” Hell, even first season of the Boondocks had a similar episode.

Well I’ve been the victim of this retort over the past few years. Whether I’ve gone back to my neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY, or have gone to hang out with some high school friends or even some college friends, I have heard this phrase uttered in my direction. Well, I’m here to say once and for all to all those inquiring:

You damn right, I done changed!!

And why shouldn’t I? I don’t dress the same because I have more money. I hang out in better places to stay away from riffraff and folks that USED to frequent the places I visited; I got tired of them not changing. I got older. Wearing sports jerseys is no longer adequate social attire for me. I prefer the tedium of putting on cufflinks any day of the week to sliding on a number enveloped in funky colors. I’ve traded in my Nike’s and Diesel shoes for Adidas Originals and Coach Shoes.

When and if I dine out, chances are the restaurant will be expensive. Drinks will be expensive. So unless you’re a teacher who I completely understand is overworked and underpaid, don’t ask me how much an evening is going to cost. My answer, unlike me, will not change: A lot!

Though I wear my hair nappy, don’t confuse that for me not getting a haircut. I do—and generally that gets done the same day I get a manicure. I’m in corporate meetings all day where people stare at my face when I talk and stare at my hands also because I use them to talk.

I dry-clean about 90% of my clothes, so if you spill something on them, damn right I’m going to look at you funny. That’s not me changing. That’s me being upset because my clothes cost a lot and I don’t spill things on them myself.

I like Alvin Ailey, not Restoration events. I like Loews in Lincoln Plaza, not Loews on 42nd Street. I prefer trips out of town to trips cross the neighborhood. I prefer a home cooked meal to McDonald’s. And I prefer close friends to large crowds.

I have changed and I don’t apologize for it. What I do recognize is that by me changing, some people will understand that and continue to be with me. And some people will not understand and cease being with me. I am comfortable enough with both scenarios to accept them as they are. And I love you all, all the same.

This public announcement has been paid for by the JG Foundation. All words and opinions expressed here are those solely of JK Adams. Nothing said is anecdotal, but are true stories piloted by his very own self-pride.

KIM – Keep it movin’

1 Comments:

Blogger Ty Shaw said...

absolutely hilarious. very true through. lol.

November 27, 2007 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.