Thursday, September 28, 2006

Preacha-man

I says, they call me Preacha-man, because I’m full of advice
Wrong or right, up and down, on your situation, I’ll shed light

And it’s not because I know it all or have been given this great ability
I’m just fond of making decisions, playing by the rules and speaking candidly

I take what my mother taught me and add a heaping helping of life’s structure,
A couple scoops of my friend’s reflections of me, mixed with home grown SC Gullah

Two parts my black-man eyesight, capitalism and the books on my nightstand
A pinch of what’s on television, random conversations, a dash of air, sea and land

When I mix that all together, somehow I come up with a whole lotta common sense
The life force behind knowledge, introspection and world views, not innocence

Those days are gone, like many childish things, I was forced to toss them asunder
With what I’ve got going now, I cannot afford to make mindless blunders

So I preach. And I preach. I preach all day to me and part of the day to you
I preach to the angels and the devils. I preach until my face is grayish blue

In the end, we all want to win a place in the good graces of the greater unknown
Memories last in minds, but stories last in societies. I want my story strewn

So I preach. And I preach. I preach all day about the things that I believe
The words I profess to you one day might turn into later blessings I receive

And when it is asked of me, who I am, I’ll always reply just the same
They call me Preacha-man and making us all a better people is my sole aim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.