Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I can't stop listening to this CD

I’m not quite sure how a couple weeks after its release I could have a new favorite CD, but I do. When I say a new favorite CD, I mean a new top 5 favorite CD. My life is a soundtrack, so it’s not often that I come across a piece of music that inspires me so.

That CD is Idlewild by OutKast. I have never heard such a collaboration of creativity in music from my generation as this album presents. Idlewild completely blurs the line between what the entertainment industry foolishly categorizes as Hip Hop/Rap and what I would deem musical communication.

I’m not trying to establish my own genre of music here, but for years, we have witnessed musicians limit their creative expression by succumbing to the pressures of advertising their products under what seems right or is deemed as an appropriate classification. It is one thing to give the public suggestions for music of similar interest to the listener, but in the same light, by forcing a musician to classify their music using a “pick one” style, is pigeon-holing musicians who strive for creative indifference as they dip and dabble into other musical arenas. Additionally, it ostracizes a musician’s freedom and creative spirit.

Jazz, Blues, Rock, Rap, Hip Hop, R&B, alternative, classical, inspirational, pop, vocal. It’s all here in this one album; and not necessarily in that order. I applaud the effort put forth here. What you have here is a masterpiece that will challenge you to be emotional (Listen to “The Train,” by Big Boi or “Mutron Angel,” by Andre feat. Whild Peach) and bob ya head a la "BOB" from Stankonia.

If you’re looking to hear two well polished musicians put together an album that could very well stand as a culmination of all of their musical endeavoring over their 12+ year career, please pick up Idlewild; its not your typical Soundtrack CD.

Thank you, OutKast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.