Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Absence of Time

I once believed that time was real. Now I know that time is just a way for us to earmark the emotional strain we put on our minds and hearts that lets us know that we are alive or have lived through something. For all things exposed to living will one day be exposed to death. That is – something time cannot define for us, yet we pay homage to its passing as if it is the very thing that makes us get old. No. Time can be used to date moments in history for recollection, but should not be used to date a human soul. A human soul lives forever. It does not suffer the fate that is being born or being passed on. It always is. And it can never suffer the passing of time if fortified by the one thing that keeps us all in existence despite the awakening of the sun and the slumbering of the moon; that one thing is Love.

When this notion came to me, I had lived my current existence over 30 years. For some strange reason, I cannot help but feel that I knew this about myself 30 years ago; back when I was first brought here again. And though I knew these things, these notions of time were false in my head, I was constantly berated with being dated by bigger me’s so much so that I came to believe in its relevance too. What we adults don’t realize is that with modern medicine, children have a higher rate of staying alive, much higher than there was a long, long time ago. Back then, you dated children because for the first couple years, it was touch and go if they lived passed infanthood. Nowadays, little concern should be put toward this end and so I believe adults should concentrate on the continuity of living – the continuity of Love than what we assume is “new exposure to life,” ergo a baby.

Strangely enough – oddly enough, if we excuse the use of time as just a marker for coordinating our days, its belief does more to hurt us than to help us. Time has a way of putting limitations on when we should get things done. I.e. I should have my undergraduate degree by 21. I should be married by 30. I should not compete for a gold medal at 35. Our bodies and the way we take care of them, does enough to create limitation on what we can or cannot do. We do not need phantom time helping us towards those decisions.

In a day and age where my mind continually fights to hold on to what’s left of humanity, I find myself creating makeshift wars with this notion of time. And as calendars and clocks remind us that it keeps moving even when we’re not, calendars and clocks also remind us that if ever there was a battle against time – regaining it; slowing it down – we can never win. So there must be a different way of thinking about time so that it does not sell us falsehoods of losing. The absence of time means that, for all things we’ve come to believe, they can only happen as subjugated by a timeframe. Let’s rid ourselves of those confounds and live, forever more, as infinite, as time immemorial, as time continuum, as absent of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.