Saturday, July 07, 2007

30th Birthday Speech

Some of you don’t know this about me, but I am fascinated by speeches. I like to write them, give them and read them, as well. Two of my most prized books are Say It Plain: A Century of Great African American Speeches by Catherine Ellis & Stephen Drury Smith and Lend Me Your Ears: Great Speeches in History selected and introduced by William Safire (Thank you GW for lending me this book that I’ve never returned). They give you a wealth of speeches over various topics, genres and timeframes relevant for understanding what spawned each word.

Throw in Brotherman: The Odyssey of Black Men in America--An Anthology, by Herb Boyd and Robert L. Allen, and you’ve got yourselves quite a collection of reads. Though this particular book is not just speeches, it gives you an inside glance at the messages black men have conveyed over the years, in many different forms, whether it be poetry, long prose, short prose or oratory. I believe the ability to give a speech is a very powerful tool to have and probably more importantly, turn your emotion into words that instill your emotion in another person. One of the greatest things about speeches is that, in addition to having a mastery over your words, you must have a mastery over cadence. I work on it almost daily because it is a skill that I truly want to master.

Well, I’m nowhere near the playing field of the orators/authors cited in these three reads, but I want to one day get there. I’ve attached a toast I wanted to give at my 30th birthday party, but never got/took the chance to. It was to be given prior to my leave to go abroad for a couple years. I came across it the other day and as I sat here and reflected on all of my family and friendships and the specialness of that evening, “truer words have never been spoken.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all for coming out tonight. I'm absolutely giddy with excitement this evening. You have to understand, that you all are my celebrities; a who's who of the future leaders of the world and representatives of my comfort zone when the rest of the world feels too daunting to face.

On the brink of his deathbed, a famous baseball player once quipped, "Today, I am the luckiest man on the face of this earth." for me and on this day, truer words have never been spoken.

Birthday parties are often used to celebrate the life and times of an individual. On today, I argue that supposition. Instead, I offer that a party like this can be used to celebrate those individuals who and whom have played an integral part in the making of that individual; those persons who have crafted and cared for me. Taught and schooled me. Scolded and molded me, are as much to be celebrated for as myself.

I am truly, truly grateful to have you in my life and to be a part of your lives.

So as I look to embark on the next adventure in my life, I implore you all to keep doing what you're doing. Be the guiding light in my life that keeps me moving forward to my greater destinations. And continue to be the centrifugal forces that keep me forever supplanted in your lives. Because the further we all move away from one another, the more thoughts and prayers we need to accompany us on our journeys.

So, I ask that you all raise a glass and join me, in a toast to yourselves. The single most important part of me. The part that makes me proud to call you my family, friends and confidantes. The part of me that makes me live another day, each and every day.

To my family: (You know I have to tell you all that I was reared by nothing but women) To the women of my family. Thank you, for coming together and figuring out just what it would take to raise a man. I owe you all a huge debt of gratitude.

To my friends. Thank you for grooming me to become a better friend and peer; colleague and integral part of your lives.

To you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing speech.. best I have ever heard.

Hope you get the opportunity to use it one day. =)

April 25, 2013 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.