Friday, April 28, 2006

Reality Stinks, so grab a sponge and a mop!!

Has reality gotten so bad that we try and cover it up? Has reality become so rotten and spoiled that we’d sooner forget it exists than to confront it head on and do something to make it smell fresh again?

I’m not a pessimist, I’m a realist. And truth of the matter is, right now, reality ain’t all that pleasant to deal with. I mean, I’m speaking in generalities, of course, but from a world perspective, shit has gone awry.

And again, that’s not the problem for me. The problem for me comes when people would rather say it’s not bad, when it is bad, rather than admit to what reality is really showing us. It disappoints me and it makes me upset. Bottom line is, I’m tired of people trying to paint red roses with shit-colored paint. Have you ever seen a shit-colored rose? If you did, would you say, “Ohhhhh, it’s a rose. I love roses no matter what they look like or what they smell like.”

People, I’m just trying to open our eyes to the fact that there are problems. And problems don’t go away unless you confront them. We have a stagnant government that deals in lies, corruption and misappropriation of power. We have an ecosystem crumbling before our very eyes. Technology is making us weaker at face-to-face interactions with one another. So we address our people like they’re message boxes on a computer screen. We get angered when people cannot respond to us at breakneck broadband speeds. And nations are acting as if toleration is the lowest priority on their agendas. How long have we known that there are religious and cultural differences now? Yet we fight like rabid dogs when it comes to proving religious or cultural dominance over what should represent our adversaries.

How appropriate was it then, and how appropriate would it be now, if just like Larry Fishburne did back in Spike Lee’s School Daze, I ran outside and screamed at the top of my lungs, “WAKE UP!!!!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.